Thursday, August 19, 2010

Beehive in the back yard

Trevor & Steph came over for a BBQ in July (Trev always does the BBQ-ing when he comes because he's the best). We hadn't been out in the back yard for about a month or so (hello, we live in AZ and it's bloody hot outside!) - I'm a sissy about heat especially when I'm pregnant.

Trevor comes in and says, "I think there's a beehive in your tree!"

Ryan goes and checks it out and heads to the store to pick up some wasp & hornet spray. You can spray it from 20 feet away. It was quite comical (and a little scary) - I'm glad I wasn't the one doing the exterminating - watching Ryan spray from as far away as possible and then running at top speed for the safety of the back door!

Here's a before picture of the beehive:


It did the trick, though. Within a few minutes, most of the bees were lying on the grass, dead. Phew! That was scary!


3 comments:

Nikki said...

oh, my That is scary.... Good pics

Unknown said...

aww poor bees. but I understand how scary a swarm of bees can bee. I saw that one killer bee movie from the 80's.

Mo said...

Eewwe! I bet you didn't even get any honey out of the deal. Jonas got stung by a wasp this weekend. Poor little guy. Glad no one on your end got that.